Wednesday, May 6, 2009

enduring a boxing bout

I have never been a boxing fan before but because my father loves this sport I learned at a young age how this sport is played. But even then, I really do not have the "stomach" for it. I also think those "round girls" are too flirty for such a sport. But that was before. I do not see much round girls in the fights these days.

When I was in elementary, one of the biggest boxing fights in the whole world was held in Manila. That was the Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier's "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975. It made a big fuzz the world over and I thought, boxing really "rocks". But still I did not care. Except that one of my favorite malls then was named after Muhammad Ali. It was the Ali Mall in Cubao.

When I was maturing, I realized that there were many Filipino boxers who made raves in the world of boxing (actually it was only Flash Elorde among the old boxers whom I remember) and I thought, this could be the sport wherein Filipinos could really excel and be proud of. And I was right. Because after some more years, this country produced a boxing sensation with Manny Pacquiao.

It was only when our national pride now, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao got that so much attention in the international scene through boxing that I endured watching a fight. Look at him fight:



But I see him beyond the fights he wins. What I like most is that he loves the Philippines and always acknowledges his humble being in the face of fierce and over-confident opponents. He inspires millions of Filipinos to be the best in what they have in skills and talent and bring back the glory to the country. He is a modern day hero and hope he does not change his humble ways. I pray that he will not be corrupted by the people around him too. He got some good years in the streets of Davao City. He was here most of the time before especially when he was looking and waiting for some good break in his boxing career. Now, I find time to watch a boxing bout only when "Pacman" fights.

And another thing is, to watch our national anthem sang in the fights. It make s me doubly proud of this country. I am also proud of the many Filipinos abroad who makes this country proud of their achievements. That includes my husband, sister and brother who are doing great with their jobs abroad. Here is one clip of our National Anthem:



Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment