Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the spirit during odd times


I read the book "Aztec" years ago. Well, I have forgotten the gist of the story but I was amazed at the lives of the early Indians in Mexico. I think they have laid such a fine and solid foundation of the culture that the modern Mexico has today. I love their women who I think got really perfect faces, family customs and traditions, old architectural designs, their music, rhythm and beat, and just the way they are. I happen to write this because I felt sad that their country is having trouble because of the "swine flu".

While I was watching the news earlier today, I have seen the strength of these people in the face of this health problem. Of course, tourists have slowed down in visiting their country but I see a lot of spirit from them. The same spirit and strength of the Aztecs while conquering people and the lands before. Now the land is being conquered by the virus.

I mentioned this because in the said news, a local tourist in one magnificent temple or monument of the past civilization (sorry I forgot the name!) which is a tourist attraction in Mexico, the woman said something like "they could not possibly get the virus in an open air like this".

But anyway, my point is that they have so much reverence to their ancestors and their work even in odd times like these. It is the spirit that will stop the virus and I am glad they do not stop beaming with pride.

Be blissful!

The picture above is explained as "In accordance with their mythology, Huitzilopochtli, the tribal god of the Aztecs, promised to show to its people a place where they should settle and to build its great capital Tenochtitlán. He told them that they had to look for an eagle posed in a cactus, with a snake in the pick. The first codex page Mendoza (a book that counts the history of the Aztecs), it locates the foundation of Tenochtitlán in 1325 or 1345. The City of Mexico is built in the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment