Sunday, January 25, 2009

saturday sauna and sanity


Saturdays has something to look forward to.

My friend (Gaga) and I decided to treat ourselves with Sauna after every week of toiling (daily chores and activities). This came up after dropping all of our "karangyaan" (luxury) as accused. Of course, luxury is an exaggeration. Many people just think that wives of seamen have large amounts of money in their pockets, which could be generally true if without mortgages, credits, tuition and other payable. Actually life has never been easy for us without our partners. When they are far away (and sometimes even if they are back,), we do all the major decisions about just anything else from raising the children to repairing of clogged toilets. So it is quite a tough job after all!

That job (as wife of a seaman) needs a little compensation such as a 200-peso Sauna. It should not hurt our economies so badly, I guess. Or else I'll get crazy. I mean crazier.

We visited Spa Valley Sauna in Lanang, Davao City once and we quickly decided that this is the place. It's got an oriental (Korean) ambiance with touches of modern furnishings and style. Spacious and have lots of lounging areas. I am not really much too picky with the ambiance and the like but what I have noticed and liked is that the staff are all accommodating. Another plus factor is that it is only 4 kilometers away from our residence. We can always run back home anytime.

The dry sauna is my favorite. It is good to have Gaga always beside me because we often stay longer inside talking and laughing. That means I get to sweat as much and detoxify. Just a 15- minute stay inside relaxes the tensions in my body and changes my mood. Many studies have also proven how Sauna improves the immune system because it increases our body temperatures. When our temperature increases (as in fever) our immune system is doubling its effort to fight infections. And so on and so forth. By the way, Gaga is insomniac so this Sauna should also be helping her get to sleep.

The smell of wood is truly relaxing. I would often feel that I am in a forest completely naked, but not feeling cold. It is freedom and it makes me glow inside and out! There was one time however when I thought of the gas chambers the Nazis used to annihilate the Jews. A sad part of history, but we should as people have learned a lot from that. Anyway, back to my freedom!

The jacuzzi is lots of fun too. We leave it to go back to the dry Sauna again. And to the cold water of the swimming pool. A one- hour activity for our bodies and minds. So soothing and relaxing.

We thank our husbands for working so hard for us to be able to pay this little luxury and pleasure!

Note: The picture is not at the Spa Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment