Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Besame Mucho



When I was a little girl back in Laoang (the island), I always hear this song sang by one of my father's best friends. His name is Rustom Lagrimas (I am not sure with the surname). He plays the guitar (sssooooo weelllll) and when he sing this song, I really stop and think "how beautiful the song is" only that I just do not understand it.

I also hear my tatay sing this song a couple of times too. I do not know how often I would go to the main street from my grandmother's house to peep and listen to Rustom play his guitar and sing. He got a soulful voice too. Their house is big and he comes from a wealthy family. They have a store in the street corner and that is where he sits and play the guitar. His friends including my father would come later at night have some drink and sing a lot. That is the earliest form of entertainment I had.

I studied in Manila at the Sta. Catalina College in Legarda. That is where I learned some Spanish words. There are a lot of nuns who speaks the language and that is where I understood what "Besame Mucho" is. So I said, I was not wrong to think that the song is romantic and talks about feelings of love and has a drawing power for lovers.

During that time, I could not really relate to that kind of feeling. But what was important to me was that I discovered the meaning of that Spanish song.

Rustom also visits our house in Manila whenever he has a chance. And it was only during those visits that I hear again that song being sang in person. So very close to me. Not the song "besame mucho" I hear in the radio or seen on tv.

Going back to my father, he had some serious bleeding today. I talked to him. I told him a couple of things but I can only hear him breathing. When I said, "Angelo (my son) is graduating in high school this coming March" he gasped for some mumbles.

The song is for you tatay. I would want a hug and kiss from you right now - coz I am feeling troubled again with thoughts of what you are going through!

2 comments:

  1. We are all going through very difficult times. There is no moment when I do not think and wish that we all may be able to relieve Tatay from suffering, and for him to recover from whatever he is going through, soon and recover totally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks cris for dropping by! I love you!

    ReplyDelete