Monday, February 16, 2009

living in the "land of promise"

Davao City in the island of Mindanao is where I lived for 15 years now. In Manila, they say life here is difficult. There is war and conflict. No opportunities. Critical remarks about the island abound. But there was no way that I was scared when I decided to build and raise my family here.

When I saw that "Land of Promise" panorama at the GAP Farm Resort back in 1989 when I first visited the city, I knew there was much promise in this land.

Living here is peaceful and not difficult as what they say in Manila. There are available jobs here too. Food is everywhere and cheaper. We do shopping and dining with the Muslims and other minority groups, in the malls and restaurants and e.g. without killing each other!

But what I admire most is the city's accessibility to the wonders of nature (land, water and air)! Beaches in the city and the Samal Island are clean and affordable. The island is just 10 minutes away (by the ferry) from the city.

Mountain resorts are just nearby. Just an hour away from the downtown area and one gets to these cool hideaways and look at the breathtaking views of the city and Samal Island.

And we don't get whipped with fiery storms down here. We get cool and clean breeze air from the sea and the mountains.

What more can I ask?

2 comments:

  1. i want to go there & see this one..=) ticket ko..hahaha.. miss you..=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. land of promise? hmm i really need to go there i guess. haha. nice work!

    ReplyDelete