Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rejoinder to Durian

I was not able to finish my thoughts about the Durian article yesterday since I have to rush somewhere else. The photo above is another shot and shows a closer view of the sculpture. It was done by Kublai Milan, a local artist. I find all of his work interesting and provocative. I discovered his work because my office before is located near their family- owned hotel. And you should see what he has done with the hotel...he mounted it with his different sculptures. I will take pictures of it when I have time. So fascinating for me! When you go inside, you will be awed a little bit more with the hotel's interiors because it is all adorned with his paintings and art works. He calls his hotel "the unconvention center"....hmmmmm.

The first time I tasted Durian was in 1989. Since then, it has been a craving. We have it here in Davao all-year round but it is cheaper during months of August till October. I mentioned how Durian is a part of the city's culture and lifestyle. One will be amazed how the people here in Davao adore that exotic fruit. August is the month Davao celebrates the many bounties of its land. Its called "Kadayawan". And the city literally smells of Durian. Durian in the streets are sold in bargain prices and there are stalls where you can have "Eat all you can Durian" and other gimmicks.

When I went to a fact-finding mission in the highlands of Upper Tamugan, I was surprised that the Lumads (one of the many Indigenous People here in Davao) eat Durian as their viands to the rice we have. Again, I was amazed! And I have learned that the people in the countryside for such a long time really eat it as viand. I have not tried it yet though.

I love eating Durian (just like any Davaoeno) in the streets with a bottle of Coke. It is a complete meal for me. Cover your mouth when you burp! The smell is ssssoooo intense! That would be gross to others who do not like Durian!

I used to be so indifferent to the fruit but no longer now!


2 comments:

  1. if u like to eat durian u should come to malaysia...state penang and area balik pulau.

    this is the best durian u can get around the world.

    http://saifulmoney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi saiful!
    thanks for visiting my blog! i would love to go to Malaysia for the durian.
    do you love it too? hope you could visit Davao too!

    ReplyDelete