Friday, April 3, 2009

even keel

The ship in an even vertical position. So calm and safe.

Back in the island when I was still very young, I only knew one ship that often "come and go". Its name is "Venus" and my only knowledge about it is that it brings passengers to Manila (the capital city of the Philippines).

Well I never really dreamed of traveling in a ship. I just like looking at it as it appears from a distance then makes the splashing of water to the shore faster and turbulent. I just thought that it could be really powerful to have such an effect to the shore, to where I am.

I do not remember how long I stayed always struck with its "coming and going". Until one day I realized I was indeed in that ship. I remembered how uncomfortable I was because of some unruly waves during navigation and when I do not see anything except the sea. I felt alone and drowning. Maybe because we were leaving the island. And I felt sad about leaving my grandmothers.

Venus means "leaving" to me from then on.

Traveling in a ship cost cheaper than an airplane, but I got the chance of appreciating the comforts of it. It is not exactly the type of accommodation one chooses but more because of ones motivation like "looking forward" to a new life in another place. That could be more meaningful than a comfortable cabin.

I also did not realize that I will later on be married to a seafarer. Although I am fascinated with the ocean, I do not exactly like the idea of staying for many days and nights floating over it. My husband does not tell me how many storms they have braved, engine troubles they did overcome and amount of loneliness they endured. But he tells me how great the oceans are! He has crossed all the oceans in the world. And all he tells me is how he enjoys fishing in every port he has gone too. When he comes home and always ask me to drive him to the beach. I know he feels good and safe to be just looking at the sea. Not living in the ship and floating the endless seas for seven months.

Everyday, I give myself minutes of prayer for my husband's safety.

The sea could be the only worst enemy of the ship, I guess. And the weather, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment