Thursday, April 9, 2009

too comfortable to sacrifice


It is a quiet Good Friday! An opportune time to reflect on life's course.

I just observed that people tend to cling to treasury bonds, stocks, cash, real estate and others for security. And I also wonder how it feels to shop until I drop without constraint on money. Will I really be very delighted to buy and stock loads of food, clothing, shoes, bags, etc. like it is the end of the world? But I also wonder, how many shoes, bags, houses, cars and money does one person really have to be happy and stable and secure?

Since I was born, I did not have the chance to really splurge on something that I really loved to have. When I have money it should go somewhere else but me. Even if I earned it.

So I do not really know how it feels to have pairs of shoes, tens or dozens of bags, cars, jewelry and other things that make women "very happy". Maybe that would really feel great!

And maybe there is something wrong with me because whenever I see poverty on TV, read about people who are in need, see children begging for food I feel that the most that I could do is "not spend too much" on unnecessary things when there are a lot of people who lives practically on nothing.

The trail's end is unreachable by sight and when we all look too far ahead, we do not realize how important it is to appreciate the life we have at the present. Hordes of money and staggering wealth could be satisfying, but when everything else crumbles in the financial system, that is when we realize all are vulnerable.

But we do not learn much! It is hard to sacrifice! But maybe delaying some gratifications could help us all travel the right path!

No comments:

Post a Comment