Saturday, April 4, 2009

happy in any circumstance

O Lord support us all the day long
until the shadows lengthen

and the evening comes
and the busy world is hushed

and the fever of life is over
and our work is done
.
Then in thine mercy grant us a safe lodging
and a holy rest
and peace at the last.
Amen
.

That prayer was from the movie I watched last night, "The Cider House Rules". I was so tired yesterday and I thought of ending my day with a movie that could uplift my spirits and make me realize (again and again) that I should not stop recognizing the beauty of life and being alive.

I used to say that prayer every night. Now I am appreciating its content once more.

The orphans in the movie have so much confusion about their identities and anger over their mothers who gave them up for adoption in the institution. They have different stories and were all abandoned. But they are alive, luckier than those fetus being thrown to the fire because their mothers chose abortion.

Mistakes in relationships (including incestuous one in the movie) abound but makes me realize that the "twists and turns" are just a series of short-lived lamenting. I should forever be deriving some strength somewhere. I am not a deeply religious person, but praying proved to be so uplifting especially when I do feel a lot of uncertainties.

But I was thinking that watching or observing anguish from others should not be my motivation to recognize life's blessings. Maybe it is unfair. The anguish I know could be different from what they are experiencing.

I guess, in any circumstance I just have to lead a forgiving, accepting and happy life. Anyway, blessings come in many packages.

I have seen the movie many times in the past. I have also read its book. John Irving is the author. But I am still drawn to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment