Wednesday, June 3, 2009

bookworm

I have with me a crate full of books inside my vehicle and I bring it anywhere I go. These are articles that I sell together with other stuff that me and my niece are disposing. While books seem to be expensive in the bookstores, what I have costs only P 20.00 each. They are hard- bound old books but are not second-hand. And I am surprised that the books are the least favorite among the stuff even with the very cheap price ( around 40 cents ).

This morning when I offered a tip to the boy who delivered a sack of rice to my vehicle, he was so shy to accept it so I asked him if I could give him a book instead. Oh my, I also do not know if he was shy to accept it but I think he should have accepted the book, because HE DID NOT. My intention was for me to give him an opportunity to sit and read a book because it is there. Ohh but maybe he just do not want to.

The month of June in the Philippines is the opening of classes and there are lots of features about education in the public school. In the news last night, there were millions of children who expressed their wish to have books, chairs, tables, and even a roof for their school. If you could only see the plight of the public school buildings and facilities, you would think many times before sending your children to our public school.

While my children were watching the news coverage on it, I hope deep inside that they appreciate what they are given. A little comfort and the more substantial education in the private schools. Because it will be so disheartening for me to see them in the public school.

Going back to the books I am peddling. I am surprised that it is not given much enthusiasm than a piece of apparel. Well I cannot impose my own love of books to other people but how I wish the people in general could bring back that habit of reading books. I always loved reading a novel and when I see it in a movie, I could see such big difference in content and the message being communicated.

So I always ask my children to read. Even for only a page. Just to get into the habit of "sitting and reading a book". Maybe someday they will appreciate it.

Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment