Sunday, June 7, 2009

my mother and "happy slip"



Last night when we were Skyping, my brother from Houston introduced "Happy Slip" to us (me, my sister, Cris and niece, Thea). You know, why? My niece, Jamie in Houston heard me say "Youchoob" instead of the very American pronunciation of "Youtoob" (for the website "Youtube.com").

When I watched some of the productions of "Happy Slip", it was like going back to memory lane. So I laughed and laugh at some very unique Filipino ways and communication which I really find more hilarious than annoying. When I act and say something and realized that it seemed like the "very unique" way, I would squirm and say "Ohhh my God I have to get this out of my system, I have just acted or said it like my mom or dad or the rest of the family" (love you all!).

"Happy Slip" brought back memories of the past especially about my mother. If you have seen the video, well in many ways, my mother is close to that manner of telephone courtesy as Cristine's lola (Grandmother). My Nanay surely says the most unwelcome "hello" on the phone. She says what she wants to say at the wrong time (most of the time) and hang-up. Example: I was in a hurry to get back to school when our phone rang. Just before I even uttered my "hello" the voice over (my mom's) said "Ano ang ulam ninyo ngayon?" (What viand did you prepare or serve?) ... always assuming that it would be any son or daughter who will get the call, but if not? Great!!!

And until now my nanay also have such a crazy habit of just hanging-up on the phone without telling us "goodbye". There were lots of incidents in the past that I still kept on saying something only to realize that its the dialtone I was talking to now, grrrrhhhhhh!

Sometimes when I reflect on my own patterns of behavior, I would stop and think that " my Nanay could be the source of some of my crazy forms of expressions" (har har har). But I think, I am through with getting annoyed with my mother's style. I must have accepted who she is by now. And at this point in time, mending ways could be the better approach for her to learn appropriateness in many ways.

I have not written anything yet about my mother. But I am writing this for her. A kind of tribute for Father's day this June. My father recently died and I believe that she now carries the ideals of my father for this family. This is for you:

Nanay, I regret that with all the opportunities for us to express love , I still have such difficulty in delivering it to you tenderly. Of course I love you, I just do not know how to express it sometimes. But I do appreciate all the things you have done. If not, I might have ended a different person. A "me" whom I will not be comfortable with. What I wanted you to know is that your imperfections gave me the path to love my being. I think it is the most wonderful gift that mothers could give to their children. To learn how to love the "persons" in them and be able to spread and express it.

Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment