Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Cristina


Sisters are not suppose to live together
Coz when they do
they wreck each other' s space
pull each other' s hairs
and bite one another, too.

But that was so long ago...


Sisters are still not suppose to live together

Coz if I do
lived with her
I will throw pillows at her husband if I see him wreck my sister's heart.
I will pull her husband's hair from the bedroom towards the garage for bastardizing my sister's space.
And I will probably bite his arms until it bleeds
for every blow to her being.


Boy, I am glad I was far from my sister during that period

for if I was, I will be in jail now.

But that was a long time ago too...


In Toronto, my sister and I had all those things in the past went down the drain.


In Toronto, we were once again kids who made up for those times when she was always away with her friends. I thought she does not want me around.


In Toronto, we were also adults who accepted each one's craziness. So very unlikely when we were young, when we could have left each other' s presence.


In Toronto, we shared secrets like friends. I thought we could not be friends because she is far too perfect and I am not.

In Toronto, she made me feel special. Something I did not feel from her for such a long time because I thought she never liked me.


But now, I am whole again.

It is great to have a sister. One who is happier now. One who is tougher.
A sister who gave us Achie and Shoti.
But still far away.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRIS!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, 'Gie. That was sweet.
    I never thought that I projected "disliking" you growing up. I always thought you were prettier, as you were taller and had better looking legs, and Tatay always pointed you out as his beautiful daughter. Not to mention that Nanay's cousins adored YOU! Although, I ALWAYS thought you were spoiled because everyone catered to your "laziness" - someone feeding you, someone else is bathing you, and someone else was dressing you up and putting your socks on for you - all's a-gagah to get you ready for school EVERY MORNING! I on the other hand didn't want anybody "messing" me up @ 4 a.m. and so I get ready on my own and have breakfast while watching "my favorite martian" EVERY MORNING while waiting for the "jeepney pick-up" and when "lucky" to be late, to ride in Tatay's car. THOSE INNOCENT DAYS... how we survived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. har har har I didn't know that Cris. Maybe when one is young and no one explains to you about how to treat your siblings, they end up the same way as us (before). But I am glad we have survived that. yah I remember those days when someone is combing my hair, putting on my socks, dressing me up har har har and i still felt deprived and unloved. oh really crazy! mmwwaahhhh

    ReplyDelete