Sunday, November 29, 2009

refusing plastics


For many months now I have been refusing plastic bags whenever I buy something.

When I go to the wet market for my fresh vegetables and fish, the merchants would have those "surprised look" whenever I get my own recycled plastic from my basket especially for the fish. For the fresh vegetables I just take them and put them in my basket.

I decided to do this small act for the environment because of the heavy usage and demand of plastics. I do believe this small act will go a long way. I am just happy to note that my children are becoming aware of how to take care of the environment or else they will inherit a pile of garbage that will destroy our Mother Earth.

And when I refuse, I also tell the merchants that "too much plastic destroys our environment". I also take time to explain to them that they should also encourage their customers to bring their own recycled plastics (at least) to lessen the plastic trash that also litters our oceans.

I am looking for a good material for my business too. I have to find a replacement of the plastic that I am using. I tried the brown paper bag but the moist of the chocolates easily tear it. I am looking into a box-type of packaging.

And I promise to share my thoughts about being "environment-friendly". I want to stop being an abuser of our waters, lands and air.

Hope you could share your thoughts too and I will publish it. We have to do our share in guarding and taking care of our planet. The only one we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment