Friday, March 13, 2009

bridges link

Bridges are not just functional masterpieces of engineering/art or structures to admire. For me, I see people wanting to get to their destinations. I see fulfillment of dreams. I see time being spent with the family or friends. I see important reasons to get there. I see relationships working.

Bridges are there for us to get connected. To be understood. To build. And rebuild.

I grew up in Manila and this city should really be very proud of having so many bridges. Most of these bridges are of heritage value because of their existence dating back the Spanish era. Traversing back and forth those bridges before were so trivial for me. Now I realized, they were landmarks of my life.



The Quezon bridge is where I realized I have to stop being an activist. At the foot of the bridge from the Quiapo church, I decided I can serve my country well and love it in some other ways. The bullet that almost hit me during a march going to Liwasang Bonifacio landed somewhere else.

The San Juanico Bridge connecting Samar and Leyte in the Philippines was the longest and the most spectacular bridge I have ever seen that time. My parents brought us there and the view was just great! The bridge is long and winding and when you reach the highest point , it was simply awesome. And it was jumpy up there too.

That feeling of elation made me want to see the San Francisco Bridge in California.

I did not see it.

In the year 2005, the Tsing Ma bridge in Hongkong gave me one of the most wonderful feelings in my lifetime. I gasped, awed, wondered, stared at its glorious height and design and was silent all throughout. Why should I not when I gathered that it is "the world's longest span suspension bridge carrying both road and railway traffic". Great!

I did not notice the bridge when I came- in Hongkong through the late night train travel I had. But in the light of the day, riding a Mercedes Benz, seated comfortably, who wouldnt miss this grandeur.

I am so blessed! I did not see the San Francisco Bridge, but someone up there gave me the Tsing Ma Bridge instead!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bliss! 4 followers, and they are increasing. good good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Large amount of info..!!
    i'm not sure I'll remember it.

    ReplyDelete