Thursday, March 5, 2009

say a little prayer

Still hyped-up in Hongkong. Year 2005.

When I woke up the next day, I did say a little prayer for the sky not to rain because I have to roam around the city. Not answered prayer, though.

It was raining when I got out of the hotel. But the rain did not stop the people from rushing and made me feel like rushing too. I thought, the people look so lovely when I saw them scampering for shelter, opening up their umbrellas and running for their bus ride.

Nathan road is a walk away from the hotel and always brimming with people, has a park, hundreds of stores, restaurants, places of interests and hawkers with their different merchandise from pins to shoes. This is much like in Quiapo, Manila. Interesting. And then I ran to the nearest Mcdonald's for a breakfast.


I was excited to finish the breakfast because we will go to the Hongkong Island and Victoria Peak. But what I was looking forward to was the ferry ride. Back home, I have an oil painting of the centuries-old ferry and wondered before if I will ever be able to experience riding it. Answered prayer!

The moment I sat on the ferry seats, touched the surfaces and inhaled the smell of grease, I said to myself, "This is a part of China's magnificent history". And I had the opportunity to experience it. What a blessing!

When I set foot in Hongkong, I felt I was back home in the Philippines because there were thousands of Domestic Helpers who were gathered together in that part of the island, just across the Wanchai Ferry Pier. And I remembered, it was a Sunday so they were spending their time together with the other domestic helpers for their day-off. Thank you for these domestic helpers because their remittances are helping their families and our country survive!



The picture shows exactly how it looked like when I went up to Victoria peak. It was cloudy and drizzling but the bus ride going up through the steep and narrow streets was really exciting. I was on a double-decked bus and can see the skyscrapers dwarfing as I went up. I thought it was scary but it was more like fun.

Walking through the city's shops with a variety of silk, antiques, paintings, and other merchandise was really amazing. This country just have a lot to sell! The walk was so much fun. Sometimes I think, we Filipinos do not walk this much at home. We should.

During the night, I went to a bar and resto. I was informed that the bar also is old. About 30 years, if I am not mistaken. I forgot the name but because the band members were all Filipinos, again I felt I was home. I requested this song "Say a little Prayer" for them to play. And they did with "gusto". Another thing, I also felt good to see our very own "San Miguel Beer" being served in the bar.

1 comment:

  1. Why are u still in a hotel? Hey you removed the picture? anyway, tell me if I can help you make a beautiful template for your blog.

    ReplyDelete