Monday, March 2, 2009

renaissance

I got this picture from my brother's blog. He took this from the 18th floor (I guess) of the Renaissance Hotel. It is in the heart of the financial and commercial center of Makati City , Philippines where I sought refuge for a couple of hours from my father's wake and burial. In the funeral parlor and at the burial site, shuffling both feelings of anguish and being delightful (to the guests) proved to be so emotionally draining for me. My brother's room in the hotel gave me a huge comforting hug during one of my most upsetting moment in life, our father's death.

Then I realized that Renaissance means "rebirth" . In history, it was a period of transition from the medieval age to a modern world. A period that has produced the most awesome art work (sculpture, paintings and structures) in history. Art works that has become immortal figures even after so many years and disasters (wars and other calamities).

So symbolical of one realization I got from the death of my father. From my previous articles, I have been so vocal about my thoughts about my father 's nearing end only because his physical body can no longer bear the many interventions and treatments. But I believe, he is now in another time and space so trancendental to mankind gaining his reward from almost a year of coming in and out of the hospital from so many complicated illnesses.

Whatever pain and sacrifices we mortals experience in life has a corresponding reward in a place called Heaven, or Paradise, could be Nirvana or God's kingdom, after world, etc. whatever one calls it - it could be a place where there is no sorrow or pain.

Then I remembered, I am not through yet with the parallelism of my Renaissance stay to some challenging moments in my life.

The Renaissance in Toronto, Canada (picture below) was also a "comforting home" for me back in 2006 when I stayed there for a week. It was my first time to travel half-around the world, in an 18-hour flight from Davao to a strange place and in another time zone, but the room my brother provided me was "home". I felt safe and secured. A bit lonely but gave me a chance to prove something to myself. I gained another perspective and knowledge. Gave me freedom to know myself far and apart from my country, my children and my home.
Rebirth(ing) comes in so many packages. But has one thing in common. Going through a lot of struggle and pain. And after that, a rewarding and happy ending forever.

3 comments:

  1. ya, true. hey! know what! I saw you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhhh jaky! you are a darling! thanks for always standing by my side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathy Ate Anj....when Donald told me about the sad news, I couldn't believe and so I came to read your blog and found out it's true. I couldn't put into words how I was saddened. I have read your previous entries about Tatay and I was so moved by your story. I really commend you for doing all your best to rebuild your relationship with him because I could relate very well with your story. I have some not-so-good times with my father too.

    Now that Tatay went home to the Lord, I know you are comforted with the thought that his sufferings has finally ended and that in His time, you will be reunited in heaven.

    I missed your smile and your laughter. I hope to see you again with that blissful look that seems so contagious. You always brighten everyone's day and thank you for being an inspiration to me.

    HUGS,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete