Friday, March 20, 2009

my advocacy

I had the privilege of managing projects that has given dramatic changes in my perspective of what life is. I thought that in Psychology, fulfillment would be "giving the appropriate treatment and interventions". Well, it still is the case. But what I did not realize earlier, is that while giving my " time, heart and mind " to every person I came in contact with, I would be receiving more. I got their "life". Their stories. Dreams. Happiness. Knowledge. Lessons. Hope. Etc.

One of the beneficiaries of the projects I worked with are considered "the marginalized group" in what we call our society. They are the sex workers (women, men and gay who are children, teenagers and adult with psychosocial and economic issues in relation to HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections.

These are the people who gave more meaning to my life. I thought careers that fetch millions or thousands of dollars gives us that ultimate "wellness". But I guess it is not an absolute fact.

I am sorry that I was not able to acquire that kind of wealth. And if I dream of it today, I may not have the benefit of time any longer. But I think I have acquired a lot.

A lot of blessings. Plenty of "experiences" in my pocket. Plenty of people with fond memories that I have served in my own small way.
What is written on my son's shirt is "Unite for Children, Unite Against AIDS". Very short slogan really, but behind that is serious and hard work. Even now that I am no longer working, I still serve. My personal advocacy.

2 comments:

  1. seems nice. Good work. I am joining the Unity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very lucky to have known you and spent time with. You are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete