Saturday, March 14, 2009

countryside flare

My friend asked me to drive her to the countryside (south of the city) to fetch some helpers. We did not know that the place was sooo remote. I got scared because of the (never-ending) rough road and the proximity of one community to the other. Could be around 5 kilometers before we see another one.

We travel here without maps. We rely most on mental mapping and the people we see and talk to along the way (ha ha ha). In the countryside when they tell you, it is near then it could really be mountains away (ha ha ha). When asked furthermore, they would inform you to turn left and right as if the distance towards that left and right turns are by meters - it could really be more than 4 or 5 kilometers really(ha ha ha). But we really had fun!

I also get relieved whenever a "habal-habal" (motorcyle being used as commercial ride in the countrysides) comes my way. To see another (alive) human being makes me feel good, at least "we are not alone in this jungle".

We entertained ourselves by taking pictures. Here are some:

A charming "bahay-kubo" (nipa hut). So small with lots of plants and flowers around the house. I wonder, "how many live in here?".

This is the "carabao" ( water buffalo) taking a rest and looking after her little one. We asked the carabao to "smile" for the camera. She did!

And the almost dried-up river. If only we have the luxury of time, we could have jumped for a cold dip.

We finished the course with lots of thrills and fun and arrived at our destination safely. Going back home is another story!




4 comments:

  1. Hey...thanks so much for being my first visitor and for the encouragement. I love reading blogs (like yours!) and I'm excited to see where writing will take me. I love all of your pictures, by the way...and I look forward to your posts. Anyway, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is a repeat comment, I apologize...I'm not sure if my first one went through. I wanted to say thanks for being my first visitor and for the encouragement...I love reading blogs (like yours!) and I'm excited about writing my own. It's a different feeling than scribbling in my journal...so far, I like it! Also, wanted to let you know that I love your pictures and I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the nipa hut at ang mga kabaw. hahahaha! Where was it Ate Anj?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there...maayo gani wala mo ma saag, sabagay naa man ang kabaw pede pangutan-on! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete