Thursday, March 26, 2009

marching forward



Coming, going, the waterbirds

don't leave a trace

don't follow a path

by Dogen


Today, Angelo Cellini, my son, graduated from high school at the Brokenshire Science High School. I find graduations as sentimental because it makes a parent feel proud to have raised and produced another human being ready to enter the adult world - find and finish an appropriate college degree, maybe hooked on some intimate relationships, have a successful career and get serious with raising-up a family (please delay this one!).


I was amazed on how my son carried himself today because we just had some serious heated argument last night regarding "what he ought to be taking up in college". I guess, my high score in career counseling in Psychology did not work out fine when it was time to deal with my son’s ordeal.


He changed his mind on taking up a course that would land him a job in the shipping industry. He was keen on being a “Captain” of a ship just a year ago. And now, he wanted the Information Technology world. Well, I know it must have been tough for him to bring it up with me! And my God, I just admire his negotiating skills.


I did not have the time to get sentimental during his graduation rites because even there, he did not stop from talking about some considerations of his choice and was even asking for a raise with his allowance because he will soon be in college. Wowwwww! And keep on talking it out with my friend so he will have an ally and gets my nod for the Information Technology Course.


Of course, he could be as confused as I was when I was in high school. But this is not about me, I said to myself! One way of teaching him to be responsible is to let him decide and be firm with his thoughts and actions. He was much too determined and I do not want to be the reason for knocking-off his dreams and hope!


How I wish, my husband, my father or his uncles were around to give him some male perspective! But I was glad Joel (a friend) volunteered to take pictures. And together with some other friends (who came in lieu of my family) they gave Angelo some inspirational thoughts and wishes.


This day is his entry into this complicated world and I just want him to be happy and confident on his way into that journey. Maybe I will be good to be there when things get (too) rough! Not only for him but with all my other sons.


He got my nod! And I got the following: the most loving hug and kiss and a promise to do a “general cleaning” from Angelo!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Bliss, congrats. That's a really beautiful feeling. and for the psychology thing, I don't think there is any such thing except loving mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he wants to go into IT, just make sure you don't waste your money by going into a diploma-mill type of school. Specifically, I'm talking about AMA and STI. STI was much better during the time that I used to work there as the focus was really on teaching the students how to program. As time passed, the focus turned to generating as much students as possible. While STI had it's merits, AMA is a black hole. See if he can get into a real, focused school such as UP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations, gello...please be a good son to mommy, okay? this is your ninang....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Omar. Please make sure that you research well on the est IT school there is for Gelo.

    ReplyDelete