Wednesday, March 11, 2009

unsavory

I was roused from a very light nap by a group of Badjaos (sea gypsies) one day at the beach. They arrived with their "catch" for the day. I am used to seeing them sell pearls but this one is rather rare for me. Inside a small blue basin were some sea creatures (that is how I call it) which they are selling me for P 25.00 (more or less 50 cents by the dollar). What will I do with it?
They said, I should eat "it". It was the very first time I saw it and much more amazed when I was informed that it is eaten raw just like the oysters. The people around me also said that it is best with vinegar or the local lemon.

And that sea creature has a name! It is called Sawaki by the Badjaos and those who are familiar with the stuff. Hhmmmm now I can call it a "sea food" after all.

One has to use a knife or just anything to part it into two. When the shell is separated out goes some sticky liquid. The other half with a flower-looking and jelly -soft meat is not "it" . But those yellow kind-of-meat stumped on the other half of the shell are the ones to be eaten. I was informed that healthier sawaki have more yellows and with thicker texture.
Because they are "sea food" then I assume that they must be rich in calcium. The meat tastes like "bihod" (fish eggs). And Sawaki has deep- sea after taste (salty) ha ha ha.

I tried savoring it in
spite of some questions on my mind. I did not have the answer, but I tried. Ohhh life!

1 comment: