Friday, July 24, 2009

heavy weight on that head

Have you ever seen peddlers carrying on their head a basin full of vegetables and fruits? The picture above shows a regular one passing-by my gate. We have a favorite one though, who is an old lady in her 60s with a pail (full of seashells) on her head and two baskets of fruits and vegetables on both her hands. My late father whenever he was here in Davao, would often call on her and buy generously her fruits and sweet potatoes. Well, I was not able to catch her today. But she is stronger than the peddlers of fish who are mostly men. Also a regular "fixture" are young teen-age males who peddle "pan de sal" (bread) and eggs (5 to 10 trays on their heads) shouting "itlog na itloggggggg" (it meant "eggs that are eggs" for redundancy's sake maybe) , on top of their voices.


In the morning, they are a part of the hustle and bustle in this neighborhood. Today, because I woke up craving for ampalaya leaves (bitter gourd ), I called to a woman with this big basin on her head and asked for the vegetable I wanted. But she does not have it.


It was quick for me to look for something else, sensing how frustrating it must be to lose an opportunity to have a deal with that load on your head. So, when she approached me, she took that big basin on her head, put it down on the ground and took the grated coconut meat (for my hair!) that I am buying. Yes, she even got that! Inside the basin, one will see a variety of stuff - tomatoes, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, leafy vegetables and a lot more. All are weighed, priced, separated, arranged and packed in plastic.

Wow, that is "door-to-door vegetable delivery". I appreciate that!

After paying her, she asked if I could help her lift the basin up on her head. "No problem", I said.

But you know what? I was surprised. It was quite heavy. Heavier than I estimated it to be. Because the stuff are vegetables, I just thought it is quite not heavy. With her stuff, I could have stiff neck or that basin could easily fall-off from my head if I was the one peddling it!

That is tough!

Going back to the 60 year old woman with a pail full of seashells on her head and baskets full fruits and vegetables on both her hands, I could not imagine the weight! My father bought generously from her even if we have enough fruits on our table to ease up some burden.

I honor these people who work for a living! I admire them far better than those who often come to your doorstep and ask for alms, food or donations!

Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment