Wednesday, July 29, 2009

shrilling honk

I remember (fondly, ok?) one jeepney driver - I bet the best in being noisy and annoying in the street! Any commuter will really notice him because he just do not stop honking his horn!

I was a regular commuter before and this particular driver seems to be crossing my way every time I wait for a ride in the morning. Funny, that there were several times too, that I got to see him cruising when it is time for me to go home.

Why would I not notice this jeepney? Aside from his being generous with his honking he also got that loud stereo that could burst the passengers' eardrums. And even if I am a jeepney away I could still hear his stereo.

I did not expect (of course, just like in the movies) that I would be a willing passenger one morning (I was in such a big rush) and got a seat right beside him. "Great!" I gasped.

I discovered that he also romps away with the "most talkative" award. He just did not stop in engaging me in conversation. Since I got no choice, I kept my replies curt and polite during the few minutes. I could really be pleasant but it seems that I got a "history" of distraction with him that was very unforgivable for me at that time!

I was not comfortable with him too because he also looks a little bit of those "goon-type" actors in the movies. But I sure did feel some kind of sincerity with his way of talking so I did not "get-off" the jeepney.

So, when he paraded his brusque "honkng", I requested him if he could use his horn moderately because it is so noisy. It is better to use it at the right time and when it is needed. "Oh" he said. And added that "he just want to attract the attention of the passengers." "Really?" but only on my mind. But I said something like, "not nearly everyone likes the honk".

Speaking of passengers! He would stop at every person waiting in the street and several times even when the people did not call for him (for the ride). "Oh my God! How could he do this to all of us?"

I am one damn commentator, so I said "Mamang driver, hindi naman po pumapara ung mga tao baka pwede naman po, tumigil na lang tayo doon sa mga pumapara lang." ("Mr. Driver I think those people are not really interested in getting a ride, is it alright if we just stop at those people who signals for it.")

"Really? I do not notice that. Seems like a habit to me and I get carried away by my stereo music." he said.

"Dear Lord! He seems to be telling the truth." He really seems to be unaware of his annoying behavior and doesn't really mean harm to the commuters. Only that he really does!

We might need some Divine interventions to see some changes in the worst of the jeepney drivers attitude and behaviors in the street!

Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment