Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sappho poem about a man from a distance

While I was in college studying Psychology, I recognized my disorder instantly. I have tendencies towards autism because I do have a very short attention span. I have not measured this yet, but I know I am inclined towards this. I hate it sometimes! Because I have to give extra effort to concentrate on one thing ( what seems to be pressing) when my mind is bugging me of many other things.

In my room, I have books near my bed. When I cannot go to sleep, it is convenient for me to get one that I wanted to finish. Because I have started reading them all and stop somewhere. Find another one and stop somewhere. All the books near me have all been scanned but left unfinished.

It's got to be a really very interesting and good book that I am able to finish in one sitting!

Anyway, I was not able to blog for a couple of days so I said this one is going to be fast. I was on the parking lot today when I browsed over a book of poems. I am biased to Indian and Chinese poems. I thought their writers are profound and lovely with how they express their feelings and thoughts in a romantic ryhtm. My friend told me to read a book because she is not so interested on it. It is called "Erotic Love Poems of Greece and Rome". I found one that I love. Written by Sappho.

Like a god he seems to me,
that man who, sitting across from you listens attentively to your
sweet voice and love laughter - a thing that sets my heart a flutter,
for suddenly as I look at you,
my voice is stuck in my throat,
my tongue is tied and a subtle flame courses beneath my flesh,
my eyes not seeing,
my ears whirring,
sweat pouring down,
my whole body trembling
my skin greener than grass
and I just short of dying.
Yet all this must be born since...

Be blissful!

No comments:

Post a Comment